Dale Bruning Jazz and Improvised Music Endowed Scholarship
The Fund is established to provide scholarships for MSU Denver Department of Music students in honor of Dale Bruning. Bruning was born and raised in Carbondale, Pennsylvania and played piano and guitar during his childhood. He spent four years touring with the US Navy Bands performing on guitar. Bruning moved to Denver in 1964 and began teaching and performing with notable jazz musicians including Dizzy Gillespie, Bill Frisell and Chet Baker. Bruning is one of Colorado’s most influential, innovative and important educators. Dale’s students, including Mr. Frisell, can be heard on recordings and bandstands around the world. Bruning is perhaps best known for the Dale Bruning Jazz Guitar Instruction Book Series. The first volume was published in 1997 and the series has received critical acclaim.
· Be meeting MSU Denver’s Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirements and cannot be in default or owe any refund/repayment of federal, state or institutional aid
· Maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of at least 2.0
· Be a declared music major with a concentration in Jazz and American Improvised Music
· Be enrolled for a minimum of six (6) credit hours during the semester(s) the scholarship is received
· Have exceptional dedication to the study of music as described in an essay and demonstrated during an audition with the selection committee