Dr. Furman C. Griffis Memorial Endowed Scholarship
The Fund is established to provide scholarships to students at the University who have a major within the School of Hospitality with a concentration in Outdoor Recreation.
The impact of his leadership during Dr. Griffis’s 13 years in public recreation and parks and his 20 years of dedicated service at MSU Denver is still appreciated throughout the leisure studies community. He served as president of the Colorado Parks and Recreation Society in 1968 and was awarded the Outstanding Service Award at Metropolitan State College of Denver in 1989. It is desired that Dr. Furman C. Griffis, who touched so many people personally in his work will be remembered through a memorial fund that continues to assist students in their quest for knowledge in the field of leisure studies.
The scholarship recipient shall:
• Be meeting the University’s Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirements and cannot be in default or owe any refund/repayment of federal, state, or institutional aid.
• Be enrolled in 12 or more credit hours
• Have a major within the School of Hospitality with a concentration in Outdoor Recreation
• Have at least 25 credit hours completed from the University, six of which must be in Outdoor Recreation
• Have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.75
• Have employment or volunteer work in the Outdoor Recreation field
• Write a 300-word essay on the subject of Outdoor Recreation which defines their interest and background in the field
- Outdoor Recreation, School of Hospitality
- Supplemental Questions
- Please provide an essay of 300 words or less explaining your interest and background in Recreation Professions.
- Please upload a degree progress report (if you need assistance with this please see a department advisor)
- Do you have employment or volunteer history in the Outdoor Recreation Field?