Matthew P. Campbell Future Marketing Professionals Endowment
The Matthew P. Campbell Scholarship for Future Marketing Professionals was created to provide tuition assistance to qualified Metropolitan State University of Denver students majoring in Marketing or Communication Studies.
Independent of the scholarship, the Society for Marketing Professional Services (SMPS) would like to provide exposure to potential career opportunities by offering recipients a one-year, paid membership to the Colorado Chapter of SMPS where they will have the opportunity to meet a mix of business leaders, business development officers and marketing managers that are focused on developing relationships and generating revenues for their companies in the Architecture,
Engineering, and Construction (A/E/C) industry. The membership and fees will be arranged by the Donor and shall not be part of the scholarship funds awarded to the student(s).
The scholarship was created to honor the memory of Matthew (Matt) Campbell, a renowned A/E/C Professional, and proud MSU alumni. Born just east of Cheyenne on January 4, 1978, Matt spent the first years of his life in Wyoming. His family moved to Denver, Colorado, where young Matt grew up. He enjoyed playing sports, playing guitar with his brothers and friends, singing in the school choir, and taking part in theater. As a teenager, he got his first job, working part-time throughout his high school years.
Matt graduated from Northglenn High School in 1996 and was accepted to the University of Colorado, Boulder, where he attended several semesters before transferring to Metropolitan State College, Denver. He chose Metro because it offered a degree program suited to his goals, and class scheduling more accommodating to his work as a technician for CTL Thompson, an engineering consulting firm. After completing his degree in Communications, Matt became a business development consultant for the firm, working for them for over ten years. In 2012, he went on to work for MKK Consulting Engineers, now IMEG, becoming an associate in 2018. Throughout his career, Matt was engaged on multiple industry boards and served a
term as president of SMPS Colorado, the Society for Marketing Professional Services (the Colorado Chapter of the Society for Marketing Professional Services).
Throughout his life, Matt enjoyed sports including snowboarding, mountain climbing, league football, and volleyball. He was always game to try something new – like stand-up paddleboarding on Chatfield Reservoir. He excelled at sports (except perhaps golf, which he played solely for the camaraderie!) Matt was known for his musical performances – he played and sang with several Denver-based bands. Matt’s greatest strength was connecting people. He was able to bring disparate groups together through a common interest, a new challenge, or to support a greater cause. It was his genuine interest in other people, his sincerity, and his one-of-a-kind authenticity that made him a success.
The scholarship recipient shall:
• Be meeting the University’s Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirements and cannot be in default or owe any refund/repayment of federal, state, or institutional aid.
• Have a declared major in Marketing or Communication Studies
• Be classified as a junior or senior
• Be enrolled full-time (12 or more credit hours)
• Have a cumulative GPA of 3.0
• Be an undergraduate student
• Be a U.S Citizen or classified as a DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) student
• Submit an essay describing how access to established professionals in your desired field might foster advancement towards your future goals. Elaborate on how you would approach continuous growth as a professional in this field of work beyond graduation. (max word count 500)
Preference is for the student(s) to receive as close to a $5000 scholarship as possible. (or two students if possible)
The scholarship is renewable for multiple years if the criteria continues to be met.
- College of Business, College of Letters Arts and Sciences, Communication Studies, DACA, Marketing
- Supplemental Questions
- Submit an essay describing how access to established professionals in your desired field might foster advancement towards your future goals. Elaborate on how you would approach continuous growth as a professional in this field of work beyond graduation. (max word count 500)