Almiro and Olga Lopez Memorial Endowed Scholarship
To benefit outstanding students majoring in Spanish at MSU Denver. Mr. and Mrs. Almiro Lopez came to the United States from Cuba in 1960. Mr. Lopez was a chemist by profession and Mrs. Lopez a housewife. In Cuba, as in the United States, they emphasized to their children the value of good citizenship, integrity, and hard work. They also were aware of the necessity of a college education in order to become better members of society.
• Have a 3.5 GPA or higher
• Have 60 credit hours completed
• Be a degree-seeking Spanish major
• Be a U.S. citizen
• Candidates must submit a short essay written in Spanish & English; topics selected by the Selection Committee, and a letter of recommendation from a faculty member in Spanish
• Interviews will be conducted for the final selection
Award is merit-based
Renewal: Scholarships will be automatically renewable if all criteria continue to be met.
- College of Letters Arts and Sciences, World Languages (Formerly Modern Languages)
- Supplemental Questions
- Please provide a brief essay, of no more than 250 words, (in English or Spanish) addressing the following topic: “Learning a second language sometimes feels like visiting a new country or entering a new world where everything is different: life style, cuisine, music, clothing... Please write about a class you took or a trip you made to a Spanish speaking country. How that class or that trip impacted your life? How that class or trip has shaped the way you view and experience the world?”
- Please provide a name and email address of a faculty member from the Department of Modern Languages who can submit a Letter of Recommendation (in English or in Spanish) indicating his/her support.