Humpback Chub Endowed Scholarship
In memory of Ruth Richtman Podmore and Steve Arrowsmith. Both Ruth and Steve were avid rafters and loved life on the river. In the 1980s, Steve founded a small river rafting company on the Dolores River of Colorado named Humpback Chub River Tours after an endangered Colorado fish. Ruth and Mike Podmore and a community of friends worked as guides for the rafting company. Steve passed away unexpectedly in 1992. Since that time, the Podmores and their friends kept up the commitment to rafting and the rivers. Shortly after running the Colorado river through the Grand Canyon in the summer of 2013, Ruth was diagnosed with cancer and passed on February 28, 2014. This scholarship is in memory of both Steve and Ruth and their love of the rivers of this world.
• Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 at MSU Denver • Be meeting the institutional Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy • Be planning a career or major volunteer work focused on environmental sustainability and stewardship • Be taking 12 or more credit hours during the semester(s) the scholarship is received • Preference will be given to students who have taken at least one water studies class • Preference given to students who have already shown involvement in environmental work either via paid or volunteer positions
- Supplemental Questions
- Have you participated in or are you planning a career or volunteer work focused on environmental sustainability and stewardship?
- Have you successfully completed one of the following courses: MGT/ENV3250 Colorado Water Law & Water Rights Administration: Colorado and the West, ENV 4410 Water Law, JRN 3570 Covering the Environment, GEG 1910 Global Water Concerns, or ENV 3400 Water Resources.
- What experience have you had with environmental work (paid or unpaid)?
- Please describe your educational and career goals as they relate to stewardship of the earth and environmental sustainability?